Friday, August 20, 2010

The year so far...2010...

I was looking back on my previous posts and ran across one I called "the year so far..." at the end of July 2009.  After posting a few weeks ago about school starting for the kids and how I use this time of year to get myself organized for the second half, it seemed like a good time to recap and see what has happened to date.  Shall we?

*  Husby and I celebrated our 24th wedding anniversary to get the year started.  We headed for a weekend away at Callaway Gardens in Georgia.  Everything was pretty deserted at the gardens because it was right after Christmas and New Years but that made it all the more special - like we had the whole place to ourselves!  We are planning something big for our 25th....the discussion continues...

*  Cousin drama reared it's ugly head again...long story short...my cousin and her husband managed to squander over $50K that was supposed to help them (and their 3 small children) stay in my aunt's house for 2-1/2 years.  My final act of assistance was really geared toward my mother in the form of helping my cousin clean out her garage so mother could go through my grandmother's things that were in there.  What an ordeal...but it gave my mother some closure on what should have happened when my grandmother passed away.  And who knew we would find my kids' changing table in there?  I thought we had gotten that back...

*  I took a backwards tumble down the basement stairs the end of January and walked away from what could have been a disastrous situation.  I still don't know how I didn't break my neck and I still have a mark on my neck where I landed. 

*  Decided in February this was the year to have a partial hysterectomy after discussion with my gynecologist at my annual visit.  Luckily I was able to plan this for a time when the calendar was somewhat clear.  I was off from April 26th - surgery was April 28th - until June 14th....and it was wonderful.  Although I feel much better I'm still waiting to feel like that "new woman" everyone said I would feel like.  Maybe I was expecting too much.

*  My mother is having a rough year...some physical but some self induced with her tendency to worry and also her feelings of loneliness.  Seems like all this came to a head with the need for a new roof.  Mind you... there was a storm this spring and then the roofing companies came out of the woodwork going to homes in our area and "looking" for work saying there was hail damage, etc.  Most of mother's neighbors are getting new roofs and she isn't...her insurance company said she didn't have damage.  Of course, this flew all over her because she has had leaks and damage to her ceiling for some time now.  Another long story short... everyone is getting something she is not and there is a feeling (which I can understand) that everything is always so hard for her to come by.  I would feel the same way.  But this seems to have been the tipping point for her in worrying about her future and the thought she should move to an apartment to get out from under house repairs, etc.  Oy.....  The reality is her house payment is so much less than apartment rent would be and she also has equity which she will need later once she can no longer live there.  There is more, of course, but too much to say here.  It's been a bit trying...

*  Took a step forward in creating a photography business with my friend Miguel.  We shot a wedding in May as a favor to a friend of mine.  That was fun...and a little nerve-raking all at the same time!  I've shot pics of a friend and her newborn at the hospital and then created a video to go along with it.  That was fun and rewarding.  I know Miguel is looking at equipment we might need to get this business going - hopefully not too much.  The immediate need for me would be a better flash for my camera.  Meanwhile, I take my camera everywhere I go and take photos, post them and let folks see what I can do.  I get great feedback...and it makes me feel great too!  It may be the beginning of the year before we get this off the ground.  Miguel and his wife will have baby number two in October and I'm sure it will be an adjustment going from one child to two!  I remember THOSE days!  But at least we are talking about this and making plans.  We both have our day jobs which pay the bills...this would be our passion job and we'll map out the time.  It's important to both of us.

The family at Charlie's 21st Birthday
*  We had two milestone birthdays this year. Charlie turned 21 in March and we had a surprise party for him at La Brisa.  It turned out great and I know he was excited about the turnout.  I was able to create 3 videos - one of his early years, one of the "second" half of his life and one of his sports life.  We showed them throughout the party and then Maria and Juan at La Brisa surprised him with a birthday "shot" - it was rather amusing.  I was so grateful for facebook throughout the planning because I was able to get in touch with his friends and extend invitations without his knowledge.  Worked out great!  Then in May (while I was off on medical leave), I planned Emily's Sweet 16 birthday here at the house.  She had a great group of friends here and thankfully, I had Anna Marie and Eddie here to help get everything pulled together in the basement for this event. 

Emily with her Sweet 16 Birthday Cake

*  Not to leave Anna Marie out of this recap...she started her second year at Troy University on July 30th - actually that was move in date and sorority rush started that evening.  It was just me and Anna moving her in but she had everything so organized that we got everything taken care of rather quickly!  We celebrated her 19th birthday the week before she left and she enjoyed her actual birthday at Troy with a visit from Ryan.  Things are just getting started at Troy but she was happy to be back and I'm glad she loves college so much.


Anna with her new RayBans!

*  I am in year 8 of the Hispanic festival that I helped create back in 2003.  The board of directors decided to move the festival from downtown to my town this year but it took awhile to get the move confirmed and all.  We also did not rehire the firm that has handled the event for us since its inception - another long story, but we did hire someone from their firm to manage the event for us in its new location.  The event has been scaled back due to the lack of time to seek sponsorships - but people have been contacting me for months wondering what is going on and when it's going to take place.  We are 9 weeks from the event now...I have panic attacks every other day but I know we have a good plan in place and we are working it....  Meanwhile, we deal with rumors and people who have no connection to the event, spreading rumors that it isn't going to take place.  This isn't good for sponsorships, of course, and it borders on sabotage at times.  It's just the nature of the beast I guess, but it DOES get old.  Sometimes I'd like to be like Kathy Bates in Fried Green Tomatoes and just back my car into some of these folks because "I'm older and have more insurance"...  Other times I'd just like to slap some folks...

These are the highlights...4 more months to go and there is a LOT going on too.  Looking forward to a short trip to Savannah with husby and a few couples over Labor Day Weekend.  Then there is my 10th annual cookie exchange party!  That will be loads of fun...plus there are quite a few folks who want to be invited this year because of the pics I posted on facebook last December. 

See...I take great photos!

No comments: